1.06.2014

to be full again

cleansing words flow
through my eyes and pour
into my soul
filling crevices I'd forgotten
were there and
renewing
creating a thirst, a hunger, a longing
replacing emptiness with hope
and driving out fear
restoring confidence and self-worth
through the Light and the
Word

and the emotionless void
that was once me
suddenly overflows again


I was in a terrible mood Sunday morning, so rather than study the passages in Genesis I had planned to read, I opened to a random page. I started in Proverbs ("A happy heart makes the face cheerful... The discerning heart seeks knowledge... the cheerful heart has a continual feast." --15:13-15), moved back to Psalms, and eventually found myself in Ephesians, one of my favorite books. 

By the time I reached the passage below, it was like eating chocolate cake--I couldn't stop, I couldn't get enough. As I read 4:31-32 I could feel layers peeling off and falling away as the hollowness inside began to fill. And yet I did stop, because I felt something, and I had to let it out. I suppose it was an epiphany of sorts.

"Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every from of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." --Ephesians 4:31-32

No comments:

Post a Comment