Lord of the Rings blog party!
The ladies over at Classic Ramblings and Inklings Press are hosting A Short Cut To Mushrooms: An Unexpected LotR Blog Party, in anticipation of the upcoming Hobbit movie. Naturally, being a huge LotR fan myself, I couldn't help but join in the fun. :)
Nine tag questions to rule them all...
1. What was your first introduction to Lord of the Rings?
After hearing various people gush about them for several years, I finally decided to watch the movies sometime in high school--after they'd all come out.
2. Have you ever read the book?
All of them, of course!
3. Which version of the movies do you prefer – the extended version or the theatrical release?
Definitely the extended version. I actually saw the extended version first, so when I finally saw the theatrical version, I felt like there were parts missing.
4. Who is your favorite character and why?
Oh goodness, I don't know. I guess Aragorn, because there are so many layers to him. I like characters with lots of depth. Next would come Sam, Frodo and Legolas. But Gimli, Merry and Pippin are hilarious (in the movie, at least--I haven't read the books in a while). I like them all!
5. Which of the other books concerning Middle-Earth have you read?
I tried to read the Silmarillion, and failed miserably, despite wanting desperately to like it. And, of course, I have read the Hobbit. :)
6. If there was one thing about the movies you would change, what would it be?
As much as I love the Merry and Pippin in the movies, I would like to see them as a bit less ridiculous--they do have brains in the books. They should keep some of the shenanigans, though, just not so careless? reckless? Gandalf is constantly having to get after them (mostly Pippin), and I feel sorry for them. I'm also one of those Tom Bombadil fans who was sorely disappointed at his absence.
7. What is your favorite scene in either the books or the movies?
Is it sad that the first one that pops into my head is Sam explaining potatoes to Gollum? I can't help it, it's funny. :) I wouldn't say that's my favorite scene, though. How about the entire Fellowship of the Ring? That's my favorite book/movie...
8. How would you rate your addiction to Lord of the Rings – Aragorn being the lowest and Gollum/Smeagol being the highest?
Hahaha, I had to read that twice. Ummm... closer to Gollum, but not quite all the way there. Boromir, maybe?
9. If you could be any Lord of the Rings character, who would it be?
I think I'd be one huge panic attack if I were a LotR character. Waaay too much stress. I do love hobbits, though, and am much like one myself. But elves are pretty cool, too. I'm not very good at this whole "pick a favorite" thing.