4.08.2013

Northanger Abbey

Jane Austen


Description from Goodreads: A wonderfully entertaining coming-of-age story, Northanger Abbey is often referred to as Jane Austen’s “Gothic parody.” Decrepit castles, locked rooms, mysterious chests, cryptic notes, and tyrannical fathers give the story an uncanny air, but one with a decidedly satirical twist.
(read more here)

My Review: I enjoy reading Austen novels, but I have to be in the right mood for them as I tend to have difficulty keeping up with the details of all the characters. It's always worth it, though (I say this having read only three or four of them).

This is one of my favorites by Jane Austen. It is a little different from her other works in that it is a parody of Gothic novels, and her voice as a narrator is a bit more pronounced at times, making the book rather comical at some points. However, it does still carry a romantic plot, the signature of Austen's work. It is also a bit easier to follow than some of her other novels.


4/5 leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment