2.01.2017

devouring and savoring {mini book reviews}

Earlier this month, I set my Goodreads goal to a humble 36 books, my intent being to read two novels and one work of nonfiction each month, and to savor every book. Evidently, I'm much better at devouring novels--though I seem to be savoring my current nonfiction book quite well, which I am still only partway through. I somehow managed to read six novels in the month of January, and since I loved nearly all of them, I wanted to share some brief thoughts on each one, in case you might enjoy them, too. (You may notice that I have only five listed here--I also read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, but I plan to dedicate an entire post to reviewing the HP series later on.)



Blood of Dragons (Rain Wilds #4)
by Robin Hobb




This is a great conclusion to a great series. (If you haven't read the first three books, start here. And then read book two. And so on.) Lives are saved, lives are taken, and people learn to stand up for themselves, as well as for each other. I loved watching the characters grow and change and become themselves throughout this series. Blood of Dragons has fewer cliffhanger chapter endings and slightly less (non-graphic) sexual content than the previous three books, but it is still there. I highly recommend The Rain Wilds Chronicles!



4/5 leaves



Breed of Giants
by Joyce Stranger




Despite my small stature, I am hopelessly attracted to large things--books, trees, horses. . . . So there was no question when I found this small (ironically) novel about the largest horse breed as to whether I would buy it. It exceeded my expectations. Breed of Giants is a beautiful tribute to Shire horses and the people who keep this draft breed alive even in modern times. This clean, romance-free horse story for adults (yes, you read that right--feel free to do a happy dance) includes animal perspectives, such as that of Brock the badger, without anthropomorphizing, and the human characters are colorful yet realistic.


5/5 leaves



Castle Waiting (Volume I)
by Linda Medley




This serendipitous library find is perhaps the first graphic novel I've ever read. An omnibus, it attracted me with its immense size, green spine, and intriguing title. Inside, it contains a fun fantasy with nods to classic fairy tales, and yet the story itself is entirely unique. The equally unique characters are easy to empathize with--I can hardly begin to pick a favorite. Though I wouldn't categorize this book as religious fiction, Peace, being a nun, has a Christian theme to her tale. This squeaky-clean graphic novel does have a few mature scenes that might go over the heads of younger readers.


5/5 leaves



The Namesake
by Jhumpa Lahiri




I enjoyed reading about the (fictional) experience of an Indian immigrant in the U.S.--the cultural contrasts, the very real emotions, the methods of coping in a place that is not home, the themes of family and loneliness. Ashima's story drew me into this novel, her unique perspective dominating the beginning. However, the book quickly switches to her son's point-of-view and remains there for most of the book, and I found his character bland and almost boring. I enjoyed the overarching story, and the ending was very good, but I just didn't click with the main protagonist.


2.5/5 leaves



Shadow Scale (Seraphina #2)
by Rachel Hartman




This second book in the Seraphina duology about humans, dragons, and half-dragons, and their struggle to coexist--or not---is brilliantly and artfully woven together. Pieces fell into place as part of schemes I couldn't have imagined, though it all made perfect sense. There were also many grey areas; I found myself asking, Is the antagonist was really a villain, or a tragic victim of circumstance? Although I didn't at all like how the love-triangle was "solved," the ending of this novel was simultaneously heartbreaking and hopeful.


4/5 leaves






6 comments:

  1. Breed of Giants sounds like a cool book! My english teacher used to suggest Robin Hobb to me but I haven't got around to reading any of her books yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're amazing! I hope you get the chance to read them.

      Delete
  2. All of these books seem very interesting. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALDKKFJADSFJ! It's a horse book! So when I was a kid, I picked up any and every horse book I found. I kind of want to return to them just for the fun of it. Breed of Giants sounds awesome.

    Castle Waiting sounds really good too. Especially with the nod to fairytales. It looks like it can be whimsical yet serious.

    SHADOW SCALE! So I loved Seraphina and have been procrastinating on Shadow Scale only because it's dragon-sized. *cough* Big books scare me. XD But I'll have to fit it in sometime soon.

    Awesome reviews! I probably would have never heard of some of these books if they weren't in your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I was soooo excited to find a horse book for adults!

      You're very right about Castle Waiting--"whimsical yet serious" is the perfect way to describe it.

      Oh, don't let the size scare you away! Shadow Scale is a very quick read.

      I'm glad you liked the reviews! Thanks for your awesome comment!

      Delete