11.20.2015

November cakes {book-inspired baking}

When I finished reading The Scorpio Races in August, I noted that I could "almost... taste the sticky-sweetness of November cakes." Well, now I can say that I have tasted the sticky-sweetness of November cakes. And they are delicious!

Maggie Stiefvater tortures her readers for 409 pages with tantalizing descriptions of these little hand cakes, and then kindly adds a recipe in the back of the book (yay!). But, naturally, I had to wait until November to try it! So, how did they turn out? What does a November cake actually look like? << Good luck figuring that one out; while I love baking, I struggle immensely with taking flattering pictures of my food.


I was a little skeptical when I finished mixing the dough and it seemed... thin. And sticky. But I followed the recipe to a T and let it rise as-is, thinking maybe it would magically be ok in an hour. Nope. I dumped it on the table to roll it out, and it sort of oozed into a doughy puddle. So I scraped it all back into the bowl and added more flour.

Tip: if your dough seems more like batter than the bread dough it's supposed to resemble, add more flour. If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't.


In the end, I still didn't add enough flour, apparently, because there weren't a lot of "nooks and crannies" for the glaze to settle into. But they were delicious and sticky and caramel-y nonetheless.

So, before you run out of November this year, go read The Scorpio Races (if you haven't already; if you have, it's definitely worth a re-read!) and then bake yourself some November cakes. They take a bit of time and effort, but believe me, they're worth it.




*******
Have you ever made a book-inspired recipe? If so, what was it? And the all-important question: Have you read The Scorpio Races? (Hint: There are two correct answers here -- "yes" and "not yet." :) )

4 comments:

  1. Wooooooooah those look delicious!!! I've never read any Stiefvater, but I hear she's pretty good... and man those cakes look yummy! Might have to try both... (except, aii, NaNo, and aii, I'm lazy! the struggle.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should reward yourself for surviving NaNo by reading The Scorpio Races. :) There's a light at the end of this tunnel!

      Delete
  2. OMGG I AM DROOLING ALL OVER MY LAPTOP HERE. *dies of longing* I seriously want to make these one day. Maggie Stiefvater IS torturous with the descriptions. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, do make them some time! It's quite an adventure. :) When you do, let me know how it goes!

      Delete