1.05.2016

a year of unkowns {2016}

























2016 brings with it uncertainty. There is "I hope" and "maybe" and "what if," all wrapped up in a potential life change of somewhat enormous proportions. Enormous as in moving to another country. It all hinges on an application my husband and I sent in well ahead of the deadline, and so now we wait. And wait. And wait. We don't know specifics -- it's all pretty vague, but what happens if we are not accepted is even more so. I'm terribly impatient, and I like to have things planned out. But right now I'm reveling in these unknowns, trying to take advantage of this upcoming break from the monotony of routine. Life is happening. And whatever 2016 brings, I'm ready.

All that just to say: the below goals are dependent upon where I end up and what I end up doing and whether it leaves time for what I have planned, because, frankly (unfortunately?), reading and writing are not exactly top priority for me. They are hobbies. Seeing as how my specific reading goals didn't pan out so well last year, I'm sticking to good ol' fashioned numbers this time around.

reading:

35 books
I considered upping the number again, especially since I went well above 35 last year, but given the uncertainties, I figured a modest goal made the most sense. Keep track of my progress on Goodreads, if you like! Depending on how life goes, I might up the number in a few months...

writing:

100,000 words
In searching for a motivator along the same vein as NaNoWriMo, I happily discovered WriYe. It's a spinoff of NaNo, but it lasts the whole year, and you pick your own word count goal. If you decide to sign up, please do friend me! My username is SerenaPoetree.

miscellaneous:

spend more time outside
learn to knit socks
finish the One Year Bible
practice yoga regularly
start a healthy (early) morning routine
others... ?
I've been toying with the idea of monthly goals -- choosing something(s) to focus on for one month, rather than stretching a pile of resolutions over a full year and then watching them fizzle out somewhere around spring or summer. If this idea continues to nag me, I might have something more to say come February.





*******
What does 2016 look like where you stand? Have you set any goals -- reading, writing or otherwise?



6 comments:

  1. If you're choosing monthly goals, check out Nicole at writes like a girl! Her monthly "small goals" are so neat to read through and super inspiring. :) good luck and best wishes for the application and the possibility of a move for you... how exciting!!

    P.s. I just read the Scorpio Races and OH MY GOODNESS I AM IN LOVE. Like I can't even tell you right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll have to look that up -- thanks!

      P.S. I looooove The Scorpio Races!!! I'm so glad you liked it! Yay!

      Delete
  2. WriYe sounds cool :) And spending more time outside should defiantly be one of my goals too :) And the possibility of moving to anther country! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's sad how little time I spend outside. :/ I've dreamt of living in another country my whole life, so it's super exciting to have an application in! (and stressful. we mostly try not to think about it...)

      Delete
  3. Wow, moving to a different country is a big change! I hope it all works out for you. And that you will finally know what to expect this year. The Unknown is quite a scary but oddly liberating thing.
    I've set a reading goal on goodreads again this year but after only reaching half way last year I decided to lower my expectations because how limiting time will be this year for me. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marian! However many books you read this year, I hope you enjoy them. :)

      Delete