10.13.2015

autumn reads {a list}

























I have to be in the right mood for a book, and I have to read the right book to fit my mood.

For example, as summer began rushing towards its sudden glorious ending that is fall, I realized that I had not yet read The Help, and that I might not feel like reading a novel set in the deep south once Cold settled in. And so I savored the last days of my favorite season while reading The Help (I was right. It's a great book for summer).

But now it is fall! Cold is making itself at home as the leaves begin to change, and I'd rather curl under a fuzzy blanket with thick socks, sweaters, tea (or hot cocoa), and books and watch the brilliance through my living room window. (I still like the occasional long walk, but that's besides the point.) Although I am not like most people in many ways, I have a hunch that many fellow bookworms also read based on their mood. And so I present to you a list of what I deem to be "autumn reads."

Titles are linked to my reviews or, in a few cases, to Goodreads.




The Scorpio Races
by Maggie Stiefvater

This incredible novel is set in October and November, making it a perfect autumn read!



The Name of the Wind
by Patrick Rothfuss

At over 700 pages long, The Name of the Wind is great for snuggling and reading for long hours. And it just doesn't feel like a summer novel.





The Cloister Walk
by Kathleen Norris

I first read this book in spring, but I think it would fit well with fall, also. Slow down. Savor. The Cloister Walk is a journey, not a race.







Far from the Madding Crowd
by Thomas Hardy

Fall seems like a good time to pull out a good classic, and this is definitely a good classic.







One-Woman Farm
by Jenna Woginrich

This short, eclectic, journal-like memoir begins and ends with October.





The Hobbit
by J.R.R. Tolkien

For those of us who feel wanderlust more strongly in the thin seasons (spring and fall). This also sets you up beautifully for reading The Lord of the Rings during your winter hibernation.





Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
by J.K. Rowling

Back to school, anyone? And, again, this sets you up for a nice long seven-book series to keep you occupied while hibernating this winter.







******
So am I right? Are there other mood readers out there? (Have you pulled out that fuzzy blanket yet?) What books should I add to my autumn reading list?

10 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, this is perfect!! I've been looking for more fall-ish books to read lately -- will definitely be looking a few of these up! Another one I really liked was "a year on ladybug farm," by Donna ball. I just finished it and it was a perfect cozy read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help. :) A Year on Ladybug Farm looks like a cute book!

      Delete
  2. Really great list! I'm going to check some of these out! And, as a matter of fact, I'm reading Harry Potter right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, perfect! You're all set for the hibernating season. :)

      Delete
  3. I’m not a mood reader, but I would love to reread Harry Potter. I had to reread the first book for a class, and I was sad that I didn’t have time to reread the whole series.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I keep thinking I'll reread the Harry Potter series (I even went so far as to read book one this summer), but there are so many new books to discover and I'm trying to gnaw my way through all of my unread books... So many books, so little time.

      Delete
  4. This is perfect! And I haven't read many of these books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could introduce you to something new!

      Delete
  5. I want to read Far from the Madding Crowd this fall since I want to read it before I see the new adaptation (and I really, really want to see that film as soon as possible!). And though I just reread the Harry Potter series last year, I'm planning on reading the first one again this fall since I just got the illustrated edition and it's so gorgeous that I can't resist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, do read the book first! (and this coming from someone who usually watches the movie first...) Let me know how you like the movie -- I can't decide if I want to see it or not. :) The illustrated edition of Harry Potter must be huge! I don't think I'd be able to resist either, though.

      Delete