7.05.2016

why I adore The King's Scrolls {book review}


I've read The King's Scrolls twice now (and Resistance three times), but apparently I didn't review it the first time around. So please allow me to rectify this terrible little oversight! (And then, I shall promptly devour Samara's Peril. And then pout because book four has yet to be released.)

I seem to have this habit of loving the first book in a series and then giving all of its sequels a less-than-perfect rating. BUT I adored The King's Scrolls, and I think it is at least as good as Resistance! I mean, Jaye L. Knight introduced dragons into the series. Instant 5/5 there, folks.

The characters continue to grow and develop in this book, and I especially enjoyed the depth added to some who were less significant in Resistance--for the sake of remaining 100% spoiler-free, I'll refrain from listing names! However, I can say that Kaden's reaction to the dragons definitely endeared him to me, though he wasn't among my favorites before (and perhaps still isn't? But I certainly appreciate him more).

I also love how Jaye L. Knight balances the relationships in The Kings Scrolls, including those among friends, siblings, and estranged family. Family! Yes, family is present in this book, which is, unfortunately, an unusual thing in the fantasy genre. And it's beautiful.

Speaking of character growth and relationships, Emperor Daican (and all those who do his bidding) can be outwitted, but he also learns from his enemies--our protagonists--and adjusts his plans accordingly. It's frustrating, of course, to have an intelligent villain, but it's also wonderfully realistic. Things don't always go according to plan--for either side! And the sides, it would seem, are not all that black-and-white. Again, frustrating, but realistic. I love it. There is so much tension and action and emotion in this book!

One of my favorite things about the Ilyon Chronicles is that they're built on a foundation of faith, and because of that, the Christian aspects don't feel forced or woefully out of place. In fact, it's all rather seamless--the religious elements cannot be easily separated from the rest of the book. It feels very natural. There is no point at which I felt I was being thumped over the head with a Bible, nor is there a single scene that encompasses the whole "moral of the story." Elom is present, and everyone reacts and relates to Him differently, depending on their personality and context. Instead of smothered, I felt refreshed. This whole series is such a beautiful story.


5/5 leaves!




8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really awesome series! I might have to check it out :) thanks for the review!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ilyon Chronicles are THE BEST. You should definitely read them!

      Delete
  2. Oh how beautiful are those covers!! There is something so magical and fantastical about them. And I DO Love Dragons! I also find that the first book in a series is always the best, except perhaps a few (like HP) where they are just as good, but never really better....
    Anyway your review has me convinced and I'm putting this series on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they, though?! I love the faint frame around the edges. You should definitely read the Ilyon Chronicles -- I can't recommend them enough!

      Delete
  3. Yes, Dragons make for insta-5 star ratings x)

    So you've read book 1 thrice and book 2 twice? How many times will you read book 3?
    Glad you're loving the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, there are going to be six books in the series, so if I reread them every time a new book comes out... uh... math... I'll have read Samara's Peril four times? And by then, hopefully I'll remember most of it (I have the worst memory!).

      Delete
  4. I have been wanting to read this for so long! And yet I have not :/ This review has encouraged me. Also, dragons *twitches*. I tend to get intimidated to start a series when I am not 'caught up'. I'm just now starting The Mortal Instruments for this reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dragons are the best! :) This is one of my absolute favorite series -- you should definitely read it!

      Delete