4.20.2016

a pair of atypical westerns {mini reviews}

Valley of Dreams (Wild West Wind #1)
by Lauraine Snelling


Historical, western, romance-free, Christian novel -- sound too good to be true? It's not! Hooray! This wonderful book kept me engaged with good character development, realistic details, and refreshing unpredictability. I appreciated the fact that Cassie, despite going on an unexpected adventure, isn't an expert on survival in the wilderness. She did what she could and graciously accepted help when she needed it, showing a great willingness to learn, as well. Although I would have liked more development in the supporting characters, the story seems set up for more on them in the second book. Also, there is a bison named George.

4/5 leaves


True Grit
by Charles Portis





This is a fun spin on the standard western, with a young girl as the protagonist. Mattie is an interesting character -- calculating and stubborn -- and I enjoyed her perspective and voice. However, I didn't much care for the story, which centered on revenge.

3/5 leaves



4 comments:

  1. The first one sounds fantastic! I love MCs who aren't automatically wilderness geniuses, and George sounds epic.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George isn't mentioned often throughout the book, but it was definitely a fun touch! Made me want a pet bison. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooo, I really like Lauraine Snelling but haven't read that book yet! Looking it up right now! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! Which reminds me, I need to hunt down book two...

      Delete